Our Culture and Statistics
Irell & Manella offers a culture where lawyers with exceptional intelligence, creativity, and character provide clients with the highest quality legal services:
- Our reputation attracts national and international clients, allowing us to concentrate our presence in a single metropolitan area, ensuring collegiality and firm cohesion.
- Our commitment to excellence and dedication to practical counseling means that clients hire us for the most interesting and complex problems.
- Our lawyers are leaders in their fields, teaching at law schools and authoring leading treatises.
- Our diversity is a long-standing part of our culture. The American Lawyer identified Irell & Manella as a diversity leader, with one of the highest percentages of minority partners in the country.
- Our highly selective hiring, nearly one-to-one associate to partner ratio, and non-hierarchical structure foster early responsibility, giving associates a shorter track to true equity partnership.
- We promote a supportive and collegial environment by compensating associates in the same class equally and at the top of the market.
- Associates are members of firm committees and are in the majority on the hiring, summer, diversity, pro bono and associates committees. They also help shape firm policy, and regularly receive financial information that other firms do not even give to partners.
- Our lawyers participate extensively in pro bono, charitable, and bar activities. Many have gone on to careers in government, the bench, public interest organizations, and teaching.
- For attorneys who choose another path, Irell's reputation and superior on-the-job training positions associates for the most competitive and prestigious career opportunities. We have a tremendous alumni network. Alumni have gone into academia, become ambassadors, started their own companies or law firms, become judges and pursued careers in other fields. Many Irell alumni work in the entertainment industry as talent agents, entertainment lawyers, producers, writers and even performers.
Offices: Los Angeles and Newport Beach, California. The Los Angeles office is located in Century City, a major commercial center in West Los Angeles. The Newport Beach office is located on Fashion Island and has breathtaking views of the ocean. The Los Angeles and Newport Beach offices are closely integrated, both professionally and socially. The offices are an hour apart and lawyers in the two offices regularly work together.
Associate compensation: Highly competitive (base salary is currently $180,000 per year for the class of 2016); no differential compensation among associates in a given class; Judicial clerkship bonus.
2015 Revenue per Lawyer: $1,590,000
Law schools represented by five or more lawyers:
Irell & Manella LLP is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all. All employees and applicants are evaluated on the basis of their qualifications consistent with applicable state and federal laws without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, family care status, veteran status, or marital status, or any other legally protected classification.