- Columbia University School of Law (J.D., 1988), Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University (M.A.L.D., 1983)
- Occidental College (A.B., Diplomacy and World Affairs, with an emphasis in Economics, 1980)
Mr. Cohen, a member of the firm’s transactions practice group, focuses on corporate finance (both debt and equity), mergers and acquisitions, securities law and creditors’ rights. He has extensive experience in a wide range of corporate transactions, including secured and unsecured debt financings (including senior, mezzanine and subordinated financings), private placements, stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers of publicly and privately held companies, venture capital transactions, public offerings, joint ventures and various other business transactions. Mr. Cohen represents investment funds and institutional and other investors as well as corporate and other business entity issuers, from privately held start-up and emerging growth companies to middle market companies.
Mr. Cohen has served as outside general corporate counsel to several U.S. subsidiaries of foreign corporate groups. In addition, Mr. Cohen practiced in Tokyo, Japan, primarily advising Japanese clients regarding their investments and transacting business in the United States. Prior to becoming an attorney, Mr. Cohen worked as a tax consultant in the international tax group of Touche Ross & Co., New York, New York.
Mr. Cohen has been recognized as a leading corporate/mergers & acquisitions lawyer by Chambers & Partners in its 2007 Chambers USA Leading Lawyers for Business Guide.
Selected Representative Transactions
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in connection with the Chapter 11 proceedings of American Suzuki Motor Corporation.
- Represented an institutional investment fund in connection with the purchase of debt and equity securities issued by a manufacturer and developer of automobile parts.
- Represented AMG Boardwalk LLC, a Las Vegas-based nightlife entertainment company, in connection with a significant investment and commercial transaction involving a major hotel and casino resort destination in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Represented senior management of a major renal disease management company in connection with a leveraged buyout of that company.
- Represented a major supplier of fresh cut fruits and vegetables to supermarkets and food outlets in connection with a significant refinancing.
- Represented an institutional investment fund in connection with the purchase of debt and equity securities of a publicly-traded consumer finance company.
- Represented an institutional investment fund in connection with a management buyout of a company that designs, develops and sells personal care products and related accessories globally.
- Joint representation of multiple institutional investment funds in connection with the purchase and subsequent restructuring of senior secured debt and equity interests in a hotel and casino resort located in Mississippi.
- Represented a secured creditor institutional investment fund in connection with the bankruptcy filing and restructuring of one of the fund's portfolio companies and the subsequent purchase of the debtor's assets in a Section 363 asset sale.
- Represented FDR Management, LLC dba Pure Management Group, which is a major owner/operator of nightclubs and other entertainment venues in Las Vegas and elsewhere, in connection with several significant transactions, including, among others, the restructuring of substantially all of the debt and equity interests in that company, the acquisition and consolidation of related equity ownership and business interests and the issuance and sale of senior secured debt and equity interests to institutional investment funds and other investors.
- Represented the owner of a major Mexican fast-food restaurant chain in connection with the leveraged buyout of that company by institutional investors.
- Represented management in connection with a management buyout of a manufacturer of vacuum system components.
- Member of the Business Law Sections of the American Bar Association and the State Bar of California and of the Business and Corporations Law Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
Bar & Court Admissions
- 1988, California