- Columbia University School of Law (J.D., 2005), Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; James Kent Scholar
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., American History, 2000), cum laude
Ronnie Roy is a transactional associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP. His practice encompasses mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and private placements, securities law and corporate governance. Mr. Roy's clients span myriad industries including entertainment, gaming, hospitality, pharmaceutical, high-tech and telecommunications companies.
Mr. Roy has extensive experience representing clients in connection with financing and related securities matters. He continually advises clients on covenant analysis with respect to their indentures, credit agreements or other instruments related to their indebtedness. His recent financing and securities matters include:
- Representation of global investment banking firm Jeffries in connection with a $25 million secured term loan into Stanadyne Corp., a motor vehicle parts and accessories manufacturer.
- Representation of Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, a global specialty pharmaceutical and medical device company, in connection with an exchange offer conducted pursuant to Section 3(a)(9) of the Securities Act.
- Representation of Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc., a NYSE-listed owner, operator and developer of casinos and related hospitality and entertainment facilities, in connection with various public bond deals and bond offerings pursuant to Rule 144A (including the follow-on A/B exchange offer), as well as a public offering of additional equity.
- Representation of a major supplier of fresh cut fruits and vegetables to supermarkets and food outlets in connection with a $120 million refinancing.
- Representation of Skechers USA, Inc., a leading footwear company with respect to securing its $250 million revolving credit agreement.
- Representation of several technology and services companies in their early stage financing, including private placements, venture financing and private equity financing.
Mr. Roy has also represented publicly and privately held acquirers and targets in a variety of transactions including negotiated mergers and acquisitions. His recent M&A transactions include:
- Representation of Angiotech Pharmaceuticals in connection with the sale of its QuillTM knotless tissue closure product line to Ethicon, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson.
- Representation of telecom equipment maker CPI International, a NASDAQ- listed company, in connection with its merger agreement to be acquired by Comtech Telecommunications, an NYSE-listed company, which terminated, and its subsequent acquisition by an affiliate of The Veritas Capital Fund IV, L.P.
- Representation of Zoo Productions, a reality television production company, in connection with the sale of the company to a United Kingdom-based media conglomerate All 3 Media, Inc.
- Representation of the majority owners of the National Football League's St. Louis Rams in the sale of their interests in the team.
- Representation of a mobile gaming company in connection with the sale of the company to a strategic buyer.
- Representation of Brinko Associates, a widely-respected corporate advisory and restructuring firm, in connection with the sale of the company to Resources Connection, a NASDAQ listed international professional services firm.
- Representation of DrNatura.com, a leading web-based direct-to-consumer marketer of colon and digestive health products, to Alaven Pharmaceuticals, a portfolio company of DFW Capital Partners
Additionally, Mr. Roy represents public and private companies and their boards in connection with a broad range of increasingly complex securities law, corporate governance and related matters. He has counseled clients regarding the licensing of their patent portfolios to patent "enforcers." He also advises clients on their 34 Act reporting, including 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks and proxy statements, as well as with respect to Schedules 13G or 13D and other securities requirements. Recent matters include:
- Representation of Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc. in connection with a recent investment of $95 million to acquire a 26% equity interest in Asian Coast Development Ltd., the owner and developer of the Ho Tram Strip beachfront complex of resorts and residential developments in southern Vietnam.
- Representation of Pinnacle Entertainment in connection with in a subsequent $15.6 million investment in Asian Coast Development.
- Representation of Crescent Entertainment, LLC, a film production investment company formed by private equity investor Clarity Partners L.P., along with Act III Entertainment and Lambert Entertainment, in connection with the restructuring of its investment in Village Roadshow Pictures Group, a film production and financing business, and the merger of Concord MusicGroup into Village Roadshow Pictures Group.
In addition to his practice, Mr. Roy is an active member of the South Asian Bar Association.
Mr. Roy earned his J.D. from Columbia University School of Law in 2005, where he was named a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and a James Kent Scholar. Mr. Roy received his B.A., cum laude, from University of Pennsylvania.
Bar & Court Admissions
- 2006, California