- Duke University School of Law (J.D., 2009), magna cum laude; Notes Editor, Duke Law Journal; Executive Committee, Moot Court Board
- Arkansas Tech University (B.A., History and Political Science, 2006), magna cum laude
Daniel Allender is an associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP, where he is a member of the litigation practice group. Mr. Allender’s practice spans an array of complex civil litigation matters, including intellectual property, business, and bankruptcy litigation. He represents both plaintiffs and defendants at every stage of litigation in state and federal courthouses from California to New York.
Mr. Allender proudly serves on Irell & Manella’s Pro Bono Committee, assisting the firm fulfill its commitment to providing pro bono legal services and mentoring junior associates interested in giving back to the community. He maintains an active pro bono practice that includes issues such as consumer fraud, employment, immigration, and tenant housing rights. In both 2013 and 2014, Mr. Allender received the Pro Bono Heroes Award from Public Counsel, the nation’s largest provider of pro bono legal services.
Before joining Irell & Manella, Mr. Allender served as a law clerk to the Honorable Curtis L. Collier of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee. He earned his J.D. magna cum laude from Duke University School of Law, where he served on the executive committees of the Duke Law Journal and the Moot Court Board. He received his B.A. magna cum laude from Arkansas Tech University.
- Represented the developers and former equity holders of Lake at Las Vegas Resort in Henderson, Nevada, in defense of claims alleging breach of fiduciary duty and fraudulent transfer, among others. The plaintiff sought damages in excess of $500 million. After nearly four years of litigation, the matter settled on favorable terms.
- Defended Gerawan Farming Inc. against wage and hour claims asserted in a class action pending in the Eastern District of California.
- Represented Aramid Entertainment Fund Ltd. in claims against Relativity Media LLC which resulted in a settlement.
- Defended Angelo Mozilo, former CEO of Countrywide Financial Corporation, in various criminal and civil investigations lead by the Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission, and other governmental agencies.
- Represented senior lenders in claims against junior lenders arising under an intercreditor agreement in connection with loans made to a Chapter 11 debtor, Momentive Performance Materials.
- Represented Tessera Inc., in an arbitration concerning a dispute over royalty payments due under a license to semiconductor packaging technology, which ultimately resulted in a $155 million settlement.
Daniel represents Irell & Manella on the Associate Leadership Board for Public Counsel. He is also actively involved with several other non-profit organizations, including the Inner City Law Center, Lambda Legal, and Equality California—where he is a member of the Equality Council.
Bar & Court Admissions
- 2009, California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California