- Yale Law School (J.D., 2010); Editor, Yale Law Journal; Executive Editor, Yale Journal of Law and Technology
- University of Southern California (M.M., Performance, Clarinet, 2006)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., Music, 2004), summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Bret Hembd is an associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP, where he is a member of the firm's litigation practice group and serves on the firm's Hiring Committee.
Mr. Hembd’s experience includes a variety of commercial litigation and patent litigation matters. He is a member of the Irell team that obtained a $20 million summary judgment award for Pacific Select Fund in an investment mismanagement case. Mr. Hembd also maintains an active pro bono practice. He has worked with Public Counsel’s Homelessness Prevention Law Project, and successfully represented an elderly victim of abusive mortgage lending practices.
Mr. Hembd earned his J.D. from Yale Law School in 2010, where he was an editor of the Yale Law Journal and an executive editor of the Yale Journal of Law and Technology. He received his Master of Music in Performance from USC in 2006 and his B.A. in Music from UCLA in 2004.
Mr. Hembd is an avid clarinetist and pianist. He has performed with several musical ensembles, including the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic.
Bar & Court Admissions
- 2010, California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit