- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 2013) magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Senior Editor, Journal of Business Law
- The Wharton School, Certificate in Business Economics and Public Policy, 2013
- University of Southern California (B.S., Business-Cinema/Television with an emphasis on Finance, 2010) magna cum laude
Jonathan B. Waxman is a litigation associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP.
Mr. Waxman earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he was elected Order of the Coif and served as a Senior Editor of the Journal of Business Law. He also received a Certificate in Business Economics and Public Policy from The Wharton School.
While in law school, Mr. Waxman served as a judicial extern for Chief Judge Alex Kozinski of the Ninth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals. He also worked as a volunteer for the Innocence Project, helping to pursue claims of factual innocence for those who have been wrongfully convicted. Mr. Waxman was heavily involved with the Entertainment and Sports Law Society at Penn, where he served the organization as President.
Mr. Waxman earned his B.S., magna cum laude, in Business Administration-Cinema/Television with an emphasis on Finance from the University of Southern California. He pursued a minor in Spanish, and is fluent in the language.
- Representation of an oil and gas production company in defending a series of investor class actions challenging public disclosures in connection with the company's purchase and merger of a series of previously independent limited partnerships.
Defense, including acting as counsel in an entirely successful two-week trial, of a publicly traded Fortune 500 company in a complex merger litigation arising from its acquisition by way of mergers of several limited partnerships in which it served as the general partner. (See "Shout-Out: Irell Locks Up Win for Public Storage” in The AmLaw Litigation Daily – subscription required – and "Public Storage Defeats Shareholder Class Action" in the Los Angeles Business Journal.)
- Representation of Angelo Mozilo, former CEO of Countrywide Financial Corporation, in civil investigations led by the Department of Justice. (See "Justice Department Drops Civil Fraud Case Against Countrywide’s Angelo Mozilo" in The Wall Street Journal, "Countrywide’s Mozilo Off Hook as U.S. Said to Abandon Suit" in Bloomberg Businessweek and "Feds won't file fraud suit against Countrywide's Mozilo" in the Associated Press.)
- Representation of the plaintiffs in a business dispute arising out of the termination and alleged squeeze-out of one of the founding members of a prominent investment management company. The matter is currently set for trial in early 2017.
- On a pro bono basis, obtained an award from the Labor Commissioner on behalf of four former restaurant employees for the entire amount that our clients sought.
- 2013, California
- 2014, U.S. District Court, Central District of California