- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D.)
- University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business (Certificate in Business and Public Policy)
- University of Michigan (B.A., Economics)
Zachary J. Smith is a transactional associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP. Mr. Smith focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and state and federal securities matters. He has experience representing public and private companies in stock and asset purchases, debt and equity finance transactions, corporate restructurings and general corporate matters. Mr. Smith has been involved in acquisitions and dispositions in a range of industries, including entertainment and media, automotive, sports collectibles and industrial testing and inspection. He also regularly advises clients on corporate structure, governance and strategic transactions. Mr. Smith has been named a Southern California "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers.
- Represented Wanda Group in its $3.5-billion purchase of Legendary Entertainment.
- Represented Summit Entertainment in its $412.5-million sale to Lions Gate Entertainment and related financing.
- Represented Colony Capital in the $660-million purchase of Miramax Films from Disney and related financing.
- Represented Colony Capital in the acquisition of SONIFI Solutions, Inc. (fka LodgeNet Entertainment, Inc.) from bankruptcy.
- Represented World Poker Tour, a leading poker and gaming brand, in its sale to PartyGaming PLC.
- Represented Summit Entertainment in a multi-tranche debt and equity financing and related M&A transaction.
- Represented Marvel Entertainment in a $500-million senior and subordinated debt film financing transaction.
- Represented Lions Gate Entertainment in a $200-million film production and P&A financing facility.
- Represented client in hostile tender offer for a publicly traded sports memorabilia and trading card company.
- Represented Pandemic Studios, a leading video game developer, in its sale to Elevation Partners.
- Represented client in sale of a brake-pad and automobile components manufacturer.
- Represented client in acquisition of a provider of testing and training for the automotive manufacturing industry.
- Represented client in acquisition of a provider of inspection services for the petrochemical industry and gas and energy plants.
- Represented client in the acquisition of a chain of retail grocery stores.
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association