- Harvard (J.D., 2013) cum laude
- Vanderbilt University (Ph.D., 2010)
- Emory University (B.A., 2004) with Highest Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- Hon. Mary M. Schroeder, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2013-2014
Michael Harbour is a litigation associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP. His practice focuses on a variety of areas including, class action defense, complex business ligation, white collar defense, and intellectual property. Mr. Harbour also represents clients in post-trial proceedings and appeals in California and the Ninth Circuit. Representative matters include:
- Secured reversal on appeal for plaintiffs in Fowler Packing, Inc. v. Lanier, 16-cv-00106 (9th Cir.) in which the Ninth Circuit held that a California law excluding two agricultural employers from raising an affirmative defense to wage-and-hour claims violated the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution. The Daily Journal recognized this case as one of the “Top Appellate Reversals” of 2016.
- Secured class decertification of a statewide class of consumers accusing an herbal supplement company of falsely marketing its product.
- Represented a California employer in a large scale criminal investigation involving allegations of insurance fraud.
- Defense counsel for a technology company in various class action and Lanham Act cases alleging false advertising.
- Represents one of the nation’s largest fruit growers in litigation against the California Labor and Workforce Development Agency and the Agricultural Labor Relations Board
- Defense counsel for the officers and directors of a Fortune 500 company in a shareholder class action alleging violations of federal securities laws.
Prior to joining Irell, Mr. Harbour worked as a law clerk for the Honorable Mary M. Schroeder of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Harbour earned his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School. Before law school, he earned his Ph.D. in Philosophy from Vanderbilt University and his B.A., with Highest Honors, from Emory University.
- 2014, California