- Yale Law School (J.D., 1993), Senior Editor of the Yale Law Journal, Judge William E. Miller Prize (for the best paper on the Bill of Rights)
- Harvard University (A.B., Social Studies, 1989), magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa, Detur Prize recipient, John Harvard Scholarship, Elizabeth Cary Agassiz Scholarship.
Laura A. Seigle is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP, where she is a member of the litigation practice group, focusing on intellectual property and entertainment litigation. She has served on the firm's Executive Committee, chaired the Hiring Committee, and served as the Diversity Coordinator. Since arriving at Irell & Manella in 1994, Ms. Seigle has represented a broad array of clients through trial, as well as in the federal and California appellate courts. She was a member of the trial team in City of Hope v. Genentech, which resulted in the largest verdict ever affirmed by the California Supreme Court.
Ms. Seigle has tried numerous cases in federal and state courts, including:
- Obtaining summary judgment for Tessera Inc. in a patent licensing lawsuit resulting in a $196-million settlement for Tessera.
- Representing an outdoor advertising company in a six-week jury trial resulting in a multi-million-dollar verdict for her client and the rejection of $80 million claims against her client.
- Obtaining a favorable verdict for a television studio in a two-week jury trial over executive producers' multi-million dollar claims and successfully defending the judgment on appeal (Sander/Moses v. NBC Studios, 142 Cal. App. 4th 1086 (2006)).
- Representing City of Hope National Medical Center in a lawsuit concerning revolutionary biotech patents, culminating in a $500-million jury verdict after a two month trial (City of Hope Nat. Med. Center v. Genentech, Inc. 43 Cal.4th 375 (2008)).
- Defending a start-up aviation company in a multi-day hearing against an attempt to shut down the company, resulting in a denial of a request for a preliminary injunction and dismissal of all claims.
- Obtaining summary judgment for a recording artist in copyright infringement case and successfully defending the judgment on appeal (Coles v. Wonder, 283 F.3d 798 (6th Cir. 2002)).
- Defending the creator of an environmental website in a multi-day hearing against Barbra Streisand’s privacy and publicity rights claims, resulting in the dismissal of claims and denial of a request for preliminary injunction.
Ms. Seigle's other noteworthy cases include:
- Representation of interactive entertainment company in various lawsuits concerning the development of the Call of Duty videogames and copyright claims against the True Crime: Streets of L.A. videogame.
- Representation of semiconductor technology company in various patent infringement and licensing cases.
- Representation of high frequency trading in litigation alleging misappropriation of confidential source code.
- Defense of Warner Bros. Pictures over the rights to the motion picture Watchmen.
- Representation of the acclaimed writer and director Peter Jackson in a dispute concerning Mr. Jackson's profit participation for the Lord of the Rings motion pictures.
- Representation of studios against copyright claims in a television program, including obtaining dismissal of the claims and successfully defending the Ninth Circuit appeal.
- Defense of high tech incubator against claims by investors seeking refund of assets, resulting in dismissal of claims on demurrer.
In 2014, Ms. Seigle was recognized as one of 75 "Top Intellectual Property Litigators" by the Daily Journal. For many years, she has been named to the Southern California "Super Lawyers" list by Los Angeles Magazine and was named as one of the Top 100 women litigators in California by the Daily Journal.
Ms. Seigle currently serves as President and on the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors of the Los Angeles County Bar Foundation. She also serves on the Executive Committee of the Yale Law School Association and on the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Judicial Appointments Committee.
Before arriving at Irell & Manella, Ms. Seigle clerked for Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Bar & Court Admissions
- 1994, California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit and Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central, Northern, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California.