- Georgetown University (J.D., 1992), magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Articles Editor of the Georgetown Law Journal, James M. Olin Fellow in Law and Economics
- Dartmouth College (B.A., Economics, 1983), cum laude
Ian Wiener is a transactional partner at Irell & Manella. Mr. Wiener has advised and represented clients in a wide variety of business law matters and business transactions, including public offerings, private placements, acquisitions and sales of companies, corporate governance, SEC counseling, as well as general corporate representation. His clients include entrepreneurs, inventors, startup and development-stage businesses, public companies, venture capital investors, private equity funds, money-management firms, sovereign wealth funds and university technology transfer offices, and span myriad industries, from semiconductors to media and entertainment (augmented and virtual reality, radio broadcasting, music publishing and casino gaming) to life sciences (medical devices and biotech) and healthcare (hospital ownership and operation).
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Wiener worked as a metals and mining industry analyst in the equity research department of PaineWebber, Inc. He subsequently worked for Clemente Capital, Inc., a New York-based money management firm, as a securities analyst for foreign and domestic equities and as a portfolio manager.
Mr. Wiener is a Chartered Financial Analyst. Mr. Wiener also served as a faculty member of an executive education program at the UCLA Anderson School of Management, alongside distinguished professors of finance and accounting at Yale, MIT and UCLA, and presented a lecture on legal issues surrounding stock options and other forms of equity compensation. In addition, Mr. Wiener was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the years 2010-2017 in the area of securities/capital markets law.
The following is a sample of Mr. Wiener’s client engagements:
- Represented a leading provider of business software and cyber security solutions in connection with the buyout of its majority owner and concurrent financing by a private equity fund.
- Represented ZetaRx Biosciences, Inc., a startup biotherapeutics company developing therapies for the treatment of certain cancers and other diseases using genetically engineered lymphocites, in connection with the sale of its assets to Juno Therapeutics, Inc.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc., a publicly-traded owner and operator of casinos, in connection with the sale of its Lakes Charles, Louisiana hotel-casino development project to Golden Nugget owner Landry’s Inc.
- Represented ZetaRx Biosciences, Inc. in various preferred stock financings.
- Represented the majority owners of the National Football League's St. Louis Rams in the sale of their interests in the team.
- Represented a homebuilder in the restructuring of in excess of $50 million of its debt through a tender and exchange offer.
- Represented Crescent Entertainment, LLC in connection with the merger of Village Roadshow Pictures Group (owned by Crescent and Village Roadshow Limited) with Concord Music Group.
- Represented Centinela Freeman Holdings, Inc. in connection with its sale of Centinela Hospital Medical Center, a 369-bed general acute care hospital in Inglewood, California, to Prime Healthcare.
- Represented Mapleton Communications, an owner and operator of radio stations in the western U.S., in connection with the sale and issuance of senior preferred units to Corporate Partners II, a Lazard Alternative Investments fund, and Mapleton's acquisition of ten radio stations from Regent Broadcasting.
- Represented Clarity Partners, L.P. as equity sponsor of Crescent Entertainment, LLC's $115 million investment in Village Roadshow Pictures Group.
- Represented Economic Analysis LLC, a privately-held economic consulting and expert testimony firm, in connection with the sale of the company to LECG Corporation, a public-traded expert services firm.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc. in connection with its public offering of $128 million in common stock.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc. in connection with its public offering of $135 million in 8¾% senior subordinated notes and its tender offer for its outstanding 9½% senior subordinated notes.
- Represented Financial Management Advisors, a money-management firm, in connection with the sale of a minority interest in the company to Asset Management Investment Company plc.
- Represents Capri Investment Company, a money-management firm, in connection with various venture investments.
- Represented Clarity Partners, L.P., in connection with Clarity’s $320 million strategic investment in OpNext, Inc., an optical components manufacturer, and the spinoff of OpNext from Hitachi Ltd.
- Represented Outdoor Vision, a media services firm, in connection with the sale of the company to Carat North America, Inc.
- Represented Rondor Music International, Inc., a music publisher, in connection with the $400 million sale of the company to The Seagram Company Ltd.
- Represented Deutsche Banc Alex. Brown, as lead underwriter, in the initial public offering of ACME Communications, Inc., an owner of television stations.
- Represented Vulcan Ventures in connection with its $300 million strategic investment in Go2Net, Inc., a publicly-traded Internet portal and search company.
- Represented Penhall International, Inc., a construction equipment rental company, in connection with the $130 million leveraged buyout of the company by private equity firm Bruckmann, Rosser, Sherrill & Co., L.P.
- Represented website operator Starwave Corporation and its controlling shareholder in connection with the sale of the company to The Walt Disney Company.
- Represented Broadway Video in connection with the $100 million sale of its film libraries to Golden Books Family Entertainment, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors, IKAR
- Member, Board of Directors, Eisner Pediatric & Family Medical Center
Bar & Court Admissions
- 1992, California