- University of Chicago (J.D., 1987), Articles Editor, The University of Chicago Law Review
- London School of Economics (M.Sc., 1982), Marshall Scholar
- Indiana University (B.Sc., 1979; M.B.A., 1980)
Eric Webber is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP, where he is a member of the transactions practice group. Mr. Webber has served in the firm's General Counsel's office and as a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Mr. Webber's practice covers a wide range of business transactions, including private and public M&A, joint ventures, business organizations and restructurings, public and private debt offerings (senior, mezzanine and subordinated debt), commercial lending (asset based lending, secured and unsecured bank debt and other financing transactions), workouts and recapitalizations, and public and private equity offerings.
In M&A transactions, Mr. Webber has led legal teams on acquisitions and dispositions of operating businesses, as well as patent portfolios and television and film libraries. In equity offerings, he has represented issuers as well as underwriters and investors. In debt transactions, he has led dividend recapitalizations, leveraged buyouts and restructuring transactions. His financing deals include both public and private company transactions, both in and outside of bankruptcy, and the representation of borrowers and debtors as well as lenders and creditors.
Mr. Webber also advises individuals on issues relating to service as executive officers or board members for private and public companies, including corporate governance, fiduciary and other duties, insurance, indemnification and risk management.
Mr. Webber's clients reach across a variety of sectors, from more traditional retail, entertainment, media, financial services, healthcare services and manufacturing businesses, to new media, mobile communications, cutting-edge electronics, software and clean technology businesses. His clients include both operating businesses and investors, and U.S. as well as European and other foreign clients.
- Represented a family of investment funds investing in an A/B note offering part of a $135 million recapitalization of a major restaurant chain
- Represented a family of investment funds investing in a $67.9 million financing of the acquisition of a radiation oncology business by a major national public healthcare company
- Represented a multi-national medical instruments company in a $110 million debt refinancing and dividend recapitalization transaction
- Represented several privately-held U.S. businesses (including a metals recycler, an electronics manufacturer, a healthcare services provider and a furniture retailer) in connection with secured and unsecured bank credit lines totaling over $500 million
- Represented a multi-national media/entertainment company in connection with approximately $950 million in debt financing secured by film library assets
- Represented a leading manufacturer and distributor of pre-fabricated outdoor structures, and its private equity sponsors, in a $120 million secured and unsecured debt refinancing transaction including an issuance of $80 million in second-lien term loan notes
Restructurings, Workouts and Bankruptcies:
- Represented a non-U.S. private investment group in a restructuring of $150 million in debt securities issued by a U.S. public healthcare company
- Represented a non-U.S private investment group holding about $60 million in secured debt securities issued by a U.S. public healthcare company in the bankruptcy reorganization of the company and its subsidiaries
- Represented a U.S. private investment group in connection with a bankruptcy filing and restructuring of an existing portfolio company, including a purchase of the company's assets in a Section 363 sale and a rollover of certain of the company's debt
- Represented a U.S. retailer in an out-of-court workout/liquidation of its assets and business to satisfy about $30 million in secured and unsecured third party debt obligations
- Represented a privately-held U.S. healthcare company in a plan of liquidation involving about $65 million in assets
M&A/Private Equity Transactions:
- Represented a privately-held national healthcare company in connection with the dispositions of its interests in several major hospital joint ventures for about $50 million
- Represented a privately-held Southern California electronics company in connection with a trio of related acquisitions, totaling approximately $125 million, as well as in the disposition of a major division shortly thereafter, for approximately $45 million
- Represented seller in sale of Texas-based home attendant care services division to a leading home health care provider
- Represented seller in the sale of major Southern California hospital and related operations to a major healthcare services company
- Represented investor group in the restructuring and sale of seven outpatient services joint ventures with major hospitals around the U.S.
- Represented private equity fund in connection with multiple equity and debt investments in a major U.S. Spanish-language television network, various restructurings of those investments into a controlling interest, and the disposition of the controlling equity interest in a $2.7 billion merger with a subsidiary of NBC/universal
- Represented a multi-national media/entertainment company in connection with the acquisition of a major studio for approximately $1.6 billion
- Represented a major publicly-traded Southern California technology company in connection with more than a dozen of strategic acquisitions over the course of five years
- Represented a major technology and communications company in connection with its $777 million investment in a joint venture acquiring a $4.5 billion patent portfolio from a debtor group in a multi-jurisdictional bankruptcy. Represented the investor in connection with the joint venture's participation in the bankruptcy auction, the consummation of the patent portfolio acquisition and various post-closing matters
- Represented a digital media technology company in the acquisition of a patent portfolio out of bankruptcy
Professional Awards and Recognition:
- Mr. Webber has been named to the Southern California "Super Lawyers" list by Los Angeles Magazine for 2015 and every prior year since the rankings began. The Legal 500 has also recognized him as a top lawyer in both M&A and business finance (his "legal talent is second to none").
- In 2012, Mr. Webber was recognized by the International Financial Law Review (IFLR) for his representation of Research In Motion Limited in the $4.5 Billion acquisition of Nortel Networks patent portfolio by the Rockstar Consortium. Honored as IFLR’s “M&A Deal of the Year”, the complex multi-party multi-jurisdictional transaction was the largest-ever bankruptcy asset sale and largest-ever patent portfolio acquisition.
Other Professional Activities:
- A leader in the Southern California legal profession, Mr. Webber was President of the Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) and served for several years on LACBA's Board of Trustees and the Board's Executive Committee. He is also a member of the Steering Committee of the Los Angeles Bar Leaders' Breakfast Club.
- Mr. Webber has written and spoken on various topics relating to equity and debt financing, bankruptcy and restructuring, commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, banking, securities law and lawyer ethics.
- Mr. Webber is a member of a number of professional organizations related to his practice areas, including the U.S.C. Institute for Corporate Counsel (Program Advisory Board), the Los Angeles County Bar Association (Business & Corporations Law and Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Sections), the Financial Lawyers Conference, the State Bar of California (Business Law Section), and the American Bar Association (Section of Business Law).
- Mr. Webber serves on a number of bar association committees relating to commercial transactions and debt finance, including service as Chair of the Commercial Law Committee of Los Angeles County Bar Association ("LACBA") and as Chair of LACBA's Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section.
- After finishing law school and before beginning his law practice, Mr. Webber served as a law clerk to the Honorable John Minor Wisdom, late Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Community and Public Service:
- Mr. Webber volunteers with and supports a variety of community and public service organizations, including the ACLU Foundation of Southern California, the Asian-Pacific American Legal Center (APALC), the Disability Rights Legal Center, the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA), the Mexican-American Legal Defense & Education Fund (MALDEF), and Public Counsel.
- An openly-gay man, Mr. Webber is active as a volunteer with and supporter of numerous LGBT community organizations, including AIDS Healthcare Foundation, Bienestar, Equality California, Lambda Legal Defense & Education Fund, Inc. (former national board member), the Lesbian & Gay Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (former Co- President), and the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center. He has received several awards for his pro bono legal work and community activities in support of LGBT rights.
- Mr. Webber is married to his life partner of more than three decades, Gerard Kraaijeveld. They reside together in the Hollywood Hills area of Los Angeles.
Bar & Court Admissions
- 1988, California