- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1981)
- Brown University (B.A., Economics, 1978), magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- Hon. Catherine B. Kelly, District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- A Big Pro Bono Victory for Emergency Shelter Coalition
- Andra Greene Named to Top Women Lawyers List by Daily Journal
- Irell Attorneys Named to 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers in 27 Practice Areas
- Irell Launches Cyber Liability and Privacy Practice
- Chu, Greene, Reisner and Wald Top 2015 Super Lawyers Lists
- Irell Recognized as a California Powerhouse by Law360
- The Daily Journal Names Andra B. Greene to Top Women Lawyers List
- Andra B. Greene Awarded Lifetime Achievement Award
- 39 Irell Attorneys Selected as Super Lawyers
- Irell Receives Social Justice Award
- Andra B. Greene Named Managing Partner of Newport Beach Office
Andra B. Greene is a partner of Irell & Manella LLP, where she is head of the class action defense practice group. Ms. Greene previously served as Managing Partner of the firm's Newport Beach office.
A seasoned trial lawyer, Ms. Greene's practice encompasses a wide range of complex business litigation with an emphasis on class action defense and professional liability defense. Her extensive trial and appellate experience in state and federal courts also extends to commercial, wage and hour, employment, business torts, real estate, lender liability, executive compensation, environmental issues, securities litigation, insurance coverage, trade secrets, white-collar criminal claims and intellectual property. She frequently represents other lawyers and major law firms when they need counsel.
Ms. Greene's results for clients illustrate why she is sought after for the most sensitive and high-stakes matters. Recent highlights include resolving high-profile consumer class actions for a well-known technology company, defeating a class action brought against a major sports venue by former workers, defeating whistleblower retaliation and discrimination claims against a professional sports team, and securing decertification and a dismissal with prejudice of a false advertising class action brought against a dietary supplement company.
Ms. Greene's victories on behalf of some of the country's most recognized companies have led to such accolades as being named one of the 2016 Top Women Lawyers in California by the Daily Journal and being named among the 2016 Top 50 Women Lawyers in the nation by the National Diversity Council. In 2016, she was also recognized as the Orange County Bet-the-Company "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for her successful defense of cases including class actions. Ms. Greene was also honored as one of the 2014 Women Worth Watching by Diversity Journal.
Representative Class Action Matters
- Secured class decertification and a dismissal with prejudice of a false advertising class action against a homeopathic and dietary supplement company alleging violations of state consumer laws.
- Successfully represented international fast food chain in defense of class and unfair competition claims on behalf of consumers alleging false advertising in the description of food's nutritional value. The court entered judgment in favor of the firm's client after granting motion to dismiss.
- Secured class decertification of a statewide class of consumers accusing an herbal supplement company of falsely marketing its supplement.
- Successfully resolved a putative class action alleging violations of California business laws, breach of contract and other claims against a software company.
- Successfully compelled arbitration in class action involving engineer bringing putative class action against a high technology company. Case proceeded as a single plaintiff matter.
- Successfully resolved a class action alleging false advertising and unfair business practices related to the provision of weight-loss surgery.
- Represented herbal supplement company in defense of a consumer class action alleging misrepresentations in connection with a homeopathic allergy relief product. In response to Irell’s pre-certification discovery efforts, and before class certification briefs were filed, the plaintiff dismissed the action with prejudice.
- Obtained dismissal of class and PAGA claims in putative wage-and-hour class action. On the eve of trial, the plaintiff dismissed his remaining individual claims with prejudice.
- Defeated putative class action against NHL arena operator alleging violations of the Displaced Janitor Opportunity Act.
- Defeated class certification in putative consolidated federal court wage-and-hour class action.
- Secured a favorable settlement on behalf of an international restaurant chain in defense of class action regarding alleged violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Obtained dismissal of putative consumer class action alleging client engaged in billing fraud.
- Successfully represented client in obtaining dismissal of class claims in a putative wage-and-hour class action.
- Successfully petitioned the Ninth Circuit to review a decision of the District Court certifying a state law wage-and-hour class under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23.
Additional Litigation Matters
- Co-trial counsel in successful defense of hard drive manufacturer in a $200 million breach of contract and warranty action, which was recognized by the National Law Journal as one of the Top 15 Defense Verdicts of the Year.
Arbitrated and defeated whistleblower and discrimination claims brought against sports arena and national sports team.
- Won summary judgment for a leading international law firm against plaintiffs who claimed that firm's alleged professional negligence resulted in $20 million in damages. The Court of Appeal affirmed the decision.
- Secured a pro bono victory for Emergency Shelter Coalition in Orange County Superior Court, obtaining grant of a peremptory writ of mandate against the City of San Clemente to rewrite a zoning ordinance to ease restrictions on homeless shelters to comply with Senate Bill 2. See here for more information.
- Successfully represented homeless residents (pro bono) against the City of Laguna Beach in a federal civil rights lawsuit alleging that the City's anti-camping ordinance was unconstitutional because it essentially criminalized homelessness. Soon after the lawsuit was filed, the City repealed the ordinance.
- Won complete defense victory following a five-day arbitration in which a terminated distributor brought breach of contract and tort claims against a medical device manufacturer, alleging millions of dollars in damages. The arbitrator also awarded the firm's client 100% of the attorneys fees and costs requested.
- Successfully represented Fortune 100 company in theft of trade secrets action. Although the case had been pending in state court for over a year, Ms. Greene removed it based on a novel theory of federal jurisdiction. The federal court denied plaintiff’s motion to remand and then granted Ms. Greene’s motion to dismiss the complaint. Ultimately the case resolved.
- Won summary judgment for national restaurant chain on insurance coverage claim where carrier had wrongfully denied coverage.
- Won summary judgments for Skylink Technologies, Inc. in parallel Federal District Court and International Trade Commission proceedings in case involving novel interpretation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The Chamberlain Group, Inc. v. Skylink Technologies, Inc., 292 F. Supp. 2d 1040 (N.D. Ill. 2003); In the Matter of Certain Universal Transmitters for Garage Door Openers (2003 WL 22811119 U.S.I.T.C. 2003). In a landmark decision under the DMCA, the Federal Circuit affirmed the District Court's ruling. 381 F.3d 1178 (Fed. Cir. 2004).
- Successfully defended pension fund advisor against $64 million lender liability claim and obtained $8.7 million judgment on client's behalf and an award of $710,000 in attorneys' fees, the full amount of attorneys' fees requested.
- Successfully represented client in Lowe Enterprises Residential Partners, L.P. v. Eighth Judicial District Court, 40 P.3d 405 (Nev. 2002), a case of first impression in which the Nevada Supreme Court en banc recognized validity of contractual jury waivers in commercial agreements.
- After successful trial on issue of debtor's claim of impossibility of repatriation and turnover of assets held in debtor's offshore asset protection trust, obtained order that claimed $30 million asset be turned over to Ms. Greene's client. This order was ratified by the Nevada Supreme Court, and the asset was in fact turned over.
- Obtained dismissal under anti-SLAPP statute of business tort action where plaintiffs sought $200 million in damages, and Ms. Greene's clients received an award of $275,000 in attorneys' fees and costs.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in appeal of dismissal of its case under California's anti-SLAPP statute and, upon remand, obtained award of attorneys' fees.
Honors & Awards
- Named one of the "Top Women Lawyers" in California by the Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journals in 2016, 2013 and 2008.
- Named one of the 2016 "Top 50 Women Lawyers" in the country by the National Diversity Council.
- Named the Orange County Bet-the-Company "Lawyer of the Year" in 2016 and 2012 and the Litigation - Intellectual Property "Lawyer of the Year" in 2013 by Best Lawyers. Only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year."
- Listed in the 2007-2016 editions of Best Lawyers for commercial litigation, the 2009-2016 editions for intellectual property litigation and the 2010-2016 editions for "Bet the Company" litigation.
- Selected as one of the "Top 50 Super Lawyers in Orange County" in 2006-2009 and 2011-2016 and one of the "Top 50 Women Super Lawyers" in Southern California in 2006-2008 and 2013-2015
- Listed in the 2004-2016 Southern California "Super Lawyers" lists. Published by Los Angeles Magazine; only five percent of the lawyers in the country earn this honor.
- Named one of the 2014 Women Worth Watching by Profiles in Diversity Journal.
- Received the 2011 Learned Hand Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Jewish Committee.
- In 2010, the ACLU Foundation of Southern California awarded her and her team the 2010 Social Justice Award for their outstanding pro bono work on Sipprelle v. City of Laguna Beach, securing a major victory on behalf of the homeless community in Laguna Beach, California.
- Featured in the March 2006 issue of OC Metro as one of "Ten Women of Power" in Orange County.
- "A Case for Shelter," (Orange County Lawyer, September 2016)
- “Using Arbitration Clauses in Class Action Settlements” (Corporate Counsel, March 2014)
- “Reflections of a Woman Managing Partner” (Orange County Lawyer, March 2014)
- "Making Partner: It Takes More Than Hard Work and Talent" (Law Practice Today, May 2013)
- "No Good Deed Goes Unrewarded: Why Professional Courtesy Advances Your Client's Cause" (Litigation Magazine, Winter 2013)
- "Why Diversity is Essential in an Economic Downturn" (Profiles in Diversity Journal, March/April 2012)
- "Open Sesame – Court's Decision on Garage Door Openers Shows Limits of Copyright Act" (Los Angeles Daily Journal, December 30, 2003)
- "Dealing with California's Anti-SLAPP Law" (ABTL Report, 2001)
- "Can Local Court Rules Rescue Civility? New Rules Address Professionalism in Depositions" (California Litigation, Spring 1997)
- "Balancing Motherhood and the Practice of Law" (National Law Journal, 1995)
- Co-editor of the book "The Woman Advocate," published by the ABA, for which she contributed a chapter entitled, "The Litigating Mom."
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- “How to Use and Combat a Presumption of Reliance in Consumer Class Actions,” Consumer Class Action Conference (January 2017)
- "Attorney's Fees," Duke Law Class-Action Settlement Conference (October 2016)
- "Cyber Liability: Strategies for Risk Management and Attack Prevention," CLE Presentation (April 2015)
- "Practicing at Large Law Firms," UC Irvine School of Law (September 2014, November 2013)
- "Stacking the Deck: The Aptitude and Attitude Necessary to Achieve Partnership," DRI's Young Lawyer Seminar (June 2013)
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution," Western State College of Law (March 2013)
- "Creating the Cultural Tipping Point: A Discussion on Inclusion and Cultural Change," sponsored by CoreLogic Diversity & Inclusion and the Santa Ana Women’s Business Council (May 2012)
- "How to Win a Business Jury Trial," presented by the ABA
- "Jury Comprehension," presented by the ABA
- "Litigating Preliminary Injunctions: Sudden Justice on a Half-Baked Record," presented by the ABA
- "21st Century Litigation," presented by ALI-ABA
- "Professional Malpractice," presented by The Rutter Group
- "Winning Without Losing Your Professionalism," presented by the ABA via video
- "Preparing Witnesses," presented by the ABA via video
- Member of the Orange County Bar Association Board of Directors (2016-2018)
- Member of the UC Irvine School of Law Board of Visitors
- Served as the Regional Co-Chair of the ABA Section of Litigation "Roadshow"
- Past President of the Federal Bar Association Orange County Chapter
- Past Chair of the Orange County Bar Association Masters Division
- Past lawyer representative to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference
- Past Co-Chair of the Central District of California lawyer representatives
- Served on the Council of the ABA's Section of Litigation, the governing body of the ABA's largest section, from 2001-2004
- Served on the ABA Section of Litigation's Federal Practice Task Force, the Civil Trial Practice Standards Task Force and Raise the Bar Task Force
- Served as Co-Chair of the Woman Advocate Committee of the ABA's Section of Litigation
Member of the UCI Law School Board of Visitors
Member of the Women's Leadership Council of Brown University, a body of select alumnae that serves in an advisory capacity to the Office of the President of Brown University, and Co-Chair of the Mentoring Committee
Trustee Emeritus of the Sage Hill School
- Certified yoga instructor, holds the designation RYT 200
Bar & Court Admissions
- 1981, District of Columbia
- 1986, California (all state and federal courts)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court