- Stanford Law School, (J.D., with distinction)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., Business Economics)
Irell In The News
Glenn K. Vanzura is a partner in Irell & Manella's Los Angeles office, where he specializes in securities litigation, complex business litigation, white collar criminal defense, and internal corporate investigations.
“Vanzura has given clutch performances in some of his firm's biggest cases,
ranging from complex securities litigation to white-collar criminal defense. … With a
background in economics, he cuts quickly to the heart of complicated business disputes
and finds solutions for large corporations, directors and others…”
– The Recorder
Mr. Vanzura has represented corporations, partners, directors, officers, employees and other individuals in a variety of industries, including the biopharmaceutical, semiconductor, casino gaming, hotel, smartphone application, entertainment, manufacturing, and restaurant industries. He has also represented AmLaw 100 law firms in legal malpractice and related matters.
Mr. Vanzura was selected by The Recorder in its inaugural list as one of only fifty "Lawyers on the Fast Track." He has also been recognized by Super Lawyers and Los Angeles magazines as a "Rising Star" every year since 2009.
Mr. Vanzura's recent matters include:
- Defense counsel for companies and individuals in a variety of shareholder class and derivative actions involving alleged violations of the securities laws, including actions in federal and state courts.
- Representation of companies and individuals in connection with investigations and enforcement actions by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Representation of companies and individuals in connection with investigations and criminal prosecutions by the Department of Justice, including matters involving alleged violations of the federal mail fraud, wire fraud, and honest services statutes; alleged insider trading; alleged trade secret theft and economic espionage; alleged stock options backdating; and other alleged violations of the federal securities laws.
- Defense of an international law firm and attorneys in numerous suits alleging legal malpractice and other torts in state and federal courts.
- Defense of the general partner of a major restaurant chain in a partnership dispute with certain of the enterprise's limited partners.
- Defense of a company in a bankruptcy court adversarial action alleging violations of the WARN Act.
- Representation of individuals in employment and contract disputes, including a matter concerning the sale of a solely-owned company to a national entertainment conglomerate and a matter involving a dispute with a major real estate developer.
- Investigating counsel representing audit committees in connection with corporate internal investigations and restatements of prior period financial statements.
- Representation of celebrity clients in pre-litigation and litigation matters.
Mr. Vanzura has also provided third-party consultation to mediators in securities matters, particularly in respect of loss causation and damages issues.
Prior to joining Irell & Manella, Mr. Vanzura was a research associate with Cornerstone Research, an economics and litigation consulting firm specializing in complex business litigation. Mr. Vanzura's practice there focused on securities and antitrust matters, and involved him in industries as diverse as the commercial airline, digital music, fast food franchise, real estate, and professional sports industries.
Mr. Vanzura is active in the community, including service on the Board of Directors for the LA County Bar Association's Center for Civic Mediation. He has also dedicated himself to pro bono matters, including the representation of low-income tenants and former members of the U.S. armed services.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Deepwater Horizon: Implications for D&O Insurance Coverage,” AIG Southwest Leadership Group (December 15, 2016)
“New Discovery Stay Questions Arise Post-Halliburton,” Law360 (August 8, 2014)
“Courts Take a Closer Look at Confidential Witnesses in Securities Fraud Cases,” Daily Journal (July 24, 2013)
Bar & Court Admissions
- 2005, California
- United States District Courts within California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- California Court of Appeal