- New York University (Joint J.D./M.B.A., 1989), Clem Miller Scholarship, Frank S. Columbus Scholarship, Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society
- Cornell University (B.S., Industrial and Labor Relations, 1985)
- Chu, Greene, Reisner and Wald Top 2015 Super Lawyers Lists
- Irell Recognized in Chambers USA 2014 Guide
- Irell Honored With Restructuring Deal of the Year Award
- Jeffrey Reisner Inducted as American College of Bankruptcy Fellow
- "Bank Failures and the Rights of the FDIC against Bank Holding Companies - A Performance Guaranty is No Longer a Guaranty." by Jeffrey Reisner
Jeffrey M. Reisner, a partner and former member of the firm's Executive Committee, is a member of the litigation and transactional departments at Irell & Manella LLP. Mr. Reisner's practice focuses on representing private equity, hedge funds, privately held and public companies and high net-worth individuals in connection with complex commercial litigation, merger and acquisitions, financings and general corporate governance, as well as the reorganization of their (or their portfolio companies') financial affairs. He also serves as a trusted advisor to boards for directors and individual directors in complex circumstances. Mr. Reisner is also head of the interdisciplinary Bankruptcy, Reorganization and Creditors' Rights practice group.
As corporate bankruptcy touches on almost every aspect of business law, Mr. Reisner brings to bear expertise across a wide range of transactions. His background also facilitates counseling clients acquiring assets from secure and liquidating companies in both traditional sales and auctions.
Mr. Reisner is also an experienced litigator having represented clients in both state and federal courts throughout the country. He has litigated complex bankruptcy and commercial matters involving claims of lender liability, avoidance action claims, breach of fiduciary duty, licensing, and intellectual property issues, and has addressed issues involving contract, corporate, real property, tax, labor, and numerous other areas of the law.
Mr. Reisner’s work has spanned many industries, including defense contractors, automotive and trucking, restaurants and hospitality, convalescent and health care, energy, technology, building supply, sporting goods, textiles, distribution, manufacturing, mortgages, payroll, aerospace, medical testing and devices, entertainment, communications technology, sporting goods and real estate.
Mr. Reisner’s professional experience is not limited to the practice of law. He founded and managed two successful businesses and served as a turnaround manager of another prior to joining Irell & Manella.
Mr. Reisner is a 1985 graduate of Cornell University, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial and Labor Relations. He was a member of New York University’s Joint Degree Program and received his Juris Doctor and Master of Business Administration (Finance) degrees in 1989. While attending Cornell University and New York University, Mr. Reisner was awarded the Clem Miller Scholarship and the Frank S. Columbus Scholarship and was elected to membership in Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society.
Representative Litigation and Transactions
- Representation of Carmel Land & Cattle Co. in defense of claims alleging breach of fiduciary duty, fraudulent transfer and others. The plaintiff sought damages in excess of $500 million. After nearly four years of litigation, the matter settled on favorable terms.
- Representation of RealD, a global licensor of 3D technologies to movie theaters and consumer electronics manufacturers, in connection with the acquisition of certain intellectual property assets from Digital Domain Media Group Inc.
- Representation of Geveran Investments Limited in connection with a securities fraud case in Florida. After establishing that the defendants made material misrepresentations and omissions in violation of Florida’s blue-sky securities fraud statute, the court agreed and granted summary judgment in favor of Geveran. Geveran also fended off two summary judgment motions brought by defendants, who include J.P. Morgan Securities and a large private equity firm.
- Representation of a global investment banking firm in connection with a second-lien loan to a motor vehicle parts and accessories manufacturer.
- Representation of the Trustee in litigation and claim matters involving the failure of the parent company of Southern Pacific Bank resulting in numerous significant trial and appellate victories on issues involving fiduciary duty and fraudulent transfer relative to the FDIC.
- Representation of senior lenders in claims against junior lenders arising under an intercreditor agreement in connection with loans made to a Chapter 11 debtor, Momentive Performance Materials.
- Representation of private investment organization Tavistock Group in connection with loan transactions and land acquisitions.
- Representation of Aramid Entertainment Fund Ltd. in claims against Relativity Media LLC which resulted in a settlement.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of senior secured notes of a troubled company with international operations.
- Representation of Smart & Final in evaluating and acquiring assets throughout the country.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Named among the Top 50 Orange County Super Lawyers in 2015 and 2016.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2004-2016 editions of Southern California Super Lawyers.
- Selected for inclusion in the 2010-2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America.
- A Fellow of the elite American College of Bankruptcy Lawyers
- Listed in numerous "Who's Who" publications.
- "AV" rated by Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating awarded by that firm.
- Member, Board of Directors, Association for Corporate Growth, Orange County
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth's Orange County Chapter Awards Committee.
- Member, Financial Lawyers’ Conference
- Member, the Orange County Bar Association
- Member, United Way's Real Estate Community Builders
- Past President, Southern California Chapter of the New York University Stern School of Business Alumni Association
- Member, Kappa Sigma Fraternity
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit