- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D. 2011), magna cum laude, Order of the Coif; Senior Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review.
- University of Southern California (B.S., 2006).
Stephen Rossi is an associate at the Newport Beach office of Irell & Manella LLP. His practice encompasses a wide variety of intellectual property and commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts around the country. He has represented clients in matters such as patent infringement cases, intellectual property license disputes, professional liability actions, construction contract litigation, employment disputes, and class actions. He also advises clients on privacy issues and other evolving areas of law.
In addition, Mr. Rossi has maintained an active pro bono practice since joining the firm. Recently, he helped a child win an emergency appeal in the California Court of Appeal that allowed him to stay with his mother in the United States and avoid deportation to the country where his siblings were murdered by gangs. In addition to other ongoing pro bono litigation matters, he currently advises a non-profit organization that empowers individuals with Down Syndrome.
Within the firm, Mr. Rossi is a member of the associate committee and hiring committee. Outside of the firm, he serves as the secretary of the Howard T. Markey Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, Orange County's only intellectual property inn of court. He was also recently selected to serve a two-year term on the Orange County Bar Foundation’s Associate Board of Directors.
Before joining Irell, Mr. Rossi was a law clerk on the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He clerked for the Honorable Arthur J. Gajarsa and, following Judge Gajarsa's retirement, for the Honorable Jimmie V. Reyna.
Mr. Rossi earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania where he was selected to the Order of the Coif and served as a Senior Editor on the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. He also holds a certificate in Public Policy and Planning from the Wharton School. In law school, Mr. Rossi and his partner won the western region and were national semi-finalists in the Giles S. Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition. Their brief on patentable subject matter under 35 U.S.C.§ 101 also won the "Best Brief" award. While in law school, he served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Sandra S. Ikuta on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Rossi graduated from the University of Southern California with a B.S. in Business Administration with an emphasis on Cinema-Television. He continues to be an avid USC football fan.
- PTI v. Tessera (N.D. Cal.):
Represented a leading semiconductor innovation company in a breach of contract case brought by a patent licensee. Obtained a summary judgment that resulted in a $196 million settlement in Tessera's favor.
- Invensas v. Renesas (D. Del.):
Represented a semiconductor innovation and licensing company against a semiconductor manufacturer in a patent infringement case. The case resulted in a favorable settlement shortly before trial.
- Amkor Technology v. Tessera (Cal. Superior Ct., Cal. Ct. of Appeal, and D. Del.):
Represented Tessera against Amkor in post-arbitration proceedings involving an arbitration award related to a patent license. Obtained a California state court appellate decision rejecting Amkor's challenge to the award, a judgment confirming the award, and a Delaware federal district court decision rejecting Amkor's challenge on the merits and also abstaining from the case in favor of the state court proceedings. The matter resulted in a $145 million settlement in Tessera's favor.
"Lessons From The Target Data Breach Settlement," Law360 (May 4, 2015)
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Presentation, “The Value of Legal Counsel” at “Cyber Liability: Strategies for Risk Management and Attack Prevention,” Irell & Manella and Willis, August 2015, Los Angeles, CA
- Presentation, “The Value of Legal Counsel” at “Cyber Liability: Strategies for Risk Management and Attack Prevention,” Irell & Manella and DLD, May 2015, Newport Beach, CA
- Presentation, “Data Breach Notification Rules,” Irell & Manella, March 2015, Newport Beach, CA.
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California