Ashok W. Mukhey is co-chair of the firm’s Transactions practice. His practice focuses on securities regulation, corporate finance, public and private offerings, representation of public companies, mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies, proxy contests, restructurings, venture capital transactions, a wide variety of other corporate transactions, general corporate representation and intellectual property transactions (including patent purchase and sales, intellectual property licensing and related intellectual property transactions). Ashok has also represented issuers, underwriters, placement agents and purchasers in numerous private and public offerings of debt and equity securities.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment, a NASDAQ-listed gaming company, in its acquisition of the operations of the Meadows Racetrack and Casino in Pennsylvania from affiliates of Cannery Casino Resorts for total consideration of $138 million and Pinnacle’s lease of the underlying real property from subsidiaries of Gaming and Leisure Properties Inc.
- Represented Technicolor in its approximately $475 million sale to InterDigital of its patent licensing business, substantially all of its patent portfolio and its interest in a joint licensing program with Sony in the fields of digital TVs and computer display monitors.
- Represented LORAC Cosmetics, a cosmetics brand founded by celebrity makeup artist Carol Shaw, in connection with an investment in the business by Encore Consumer Capital, a private equity firm that invests exclusively in leading consumer products companies.
- Represented the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and related Academy foundations in connection with the issuance of $341 million aggregate principal amount of tax-exempt, fixed and floating rate "Oscar bonds" to finance the construction and development of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.
- Represented Guggenheim Securities LLC, as initial purchaser, in connection with a $340 million whole business securitization transaction involving Dick Clark Productions, the producer of such live television programming as the Golden Globe Awards, the American Music Awards and the Academy of Country Music Awards.
- Represented the borrower, a leader in comprehensive digital engagement and technology solutions for the hospitality industry, in connection with a substantial debt and equity restructuring.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment in the FTC-required divestiture of its Ameristar Lake Charles casino project to an entity controlled by Golden Nugget Inc. and Tilman Fertitta. The approximately $200 million divestiture was required in connection with Pinnacle Entertainment's acquisition of Ameristar Casinos Inc.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment in its divestiture of the Lumiere Place Casino, HoteLumiere and the Four Seasons Hotel St. Louis to Tropicana Entertainment Inc. (of which the principal beneficial stockholder is Carl Icahn) for cash consideration of approximately $260 million. This divestiture was required by the FTC in connection with Pinnacle Entertainment's acquisition of Ameristar Casinos Inc.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment in various financing transactions, including numerous high-yield debt offerings totaling over $2 billion and several associated debt tender offers and follow-on equity public offerings totaling $740 million.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment in an investment of over $100 million in a joint venture to develop a hotel and casino complex in southern Vietnam.
- Represented Wynn Resorts Ltd. in its $450 million initial public offering and its subsidiary's concurrent $370 million registered high-yield debt offering to finance construction of the Wynn Las Vegas hotel developed by Steve Wynn.
- Represented Cygnus Inc., a publicly held developer and manufacturer of noninvasive glucose monitoring devices, in its asset sale to Animas Corporation and subsequent dissolution.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment in various other merger and acquisition transactions, including Pinnacle's acquisition of the Sands Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City from entities affiliated with financier Carl Icahn, cash merger acquisition of publicly held Casino Magic Corp., its stock-for-stock merger with publicly held Boomtown and various divestitures of certain of its casinos and race track facilities.
- Analyzed target intellectual property in connection with representation of an acquirer in its acquisition of a component manufacturer.
- Represented a semiconductor manufacturer in sales of patent portfolios.
- Represented clients in various cross-licensing and other intellectual property transactions.
- Represented R.D. Hubbard in the proxy contest through which Mr. Hubbard assumed management control of Pinnacle Entertainment (then Hollywood Park).
- Represented Covad Communications Group in corporate matters in its bankruptcy reorganization in which it was able to extinguish approximately $1.4 billion in debt.
- Represented Covad Communications Group in its Rule 144A offering of $425 million of senior notes and subsequent registered exchange offer.
- Represented Mirage Resorts in its cash merger acquisition of Boardwalk Casino Inc., a public gaming company.
- Represented BDK Holdings Inc., a privately held textile company, in its out-of-court restructuring in which new debt and equity securities were issued in exchange for the company's existing $33 million issue of debt securities.
- Represented Riau Andalan Pulp & Paper, a major Asian industrial company, in its tender offer and consent solicitation for $300 million of its high-yield debt securities.
- Represented Leonard Green & Partners and its newly formed issuer, Communications & Power Industries Inc., in its Rule 144A offering of $120 million of high-yield debt securities and exchangeable preferred stock, followed by a registered exchange offer of such securities to help finance Leonard Green & Partners’ acquisition of the electron devices division of Varian Associates.
- Represented Ocal Inc., a public company, in its $20 million acquisition by Thomas & Betts.
- Represented a privately held outdoor advertising company in its acquisition by Morris Communications.
- Represented OMNIBANCORP, a privately held Denver bank, in connection with its $100 million stock-for-stock acquisition by KeyCorp, a publicly traded bank holding company.
- Represented Apollo Advisors in the restructuring of Continental Graphics Corporation.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the area of corporate law (2007-2019)
- Named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list (2007-2010)
- Recognized in Los Angeles Times Magazine in the area of corporate law (2009)
Harvard Law School (J.D., 1984)
University of California, Los Angeles (B.A., Economics, 1981)
- California, 1984