Casey Curran’s practice encompasses a wide range of IP and general litigation matters.
Casey also maintains an active pro bono practice. Representative matters include work as counsel for a nonprofit company in an intellectual property protection matter and counsel for an elderly homeowner defending against a mechanic’s lien.
Casey earned her J.D. from UCLA School of Law, where she was elected to the Order of the Coif and named a Michael T. Masin Scholar. Casey also served as senior articles editor of the Journal of Environmental Law and Policy. While in law school, Casey received Dean’s Awards in Land Use, Constitutional Criminal Procedure, Professional Responsibility and Federal Courts. She was also a law clerk in the Labor Division of the Los Angeles City Attorney's Office.
- Counsel for ZOLL Medical Corp. in a patent infringement lawsuit brought by its competitor Philips relating to external defibrillator technology. Irell took over the case from other counsel in 2014 after a loss at the liability phase. In August 2017, after a seven-day jury trial, the jury returned a verdict in which it rejected Philips’s claim for lost profits damages, found that ZOLL did not willfully infringe and awarded Philips a net of $7.1 million in damages, less than four percent of Philips’s claimed damages.
- Counsel for Juno Therapeutics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Sloan Kettering Institute for Cancer Research in litigation of patent infringement in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California relating to chimeric antigen receptor technology for the treatment of B-cell cancers.
- Counsel for Ariosa Diagnostics Inc. in a patent litigation suit brought by Verinata Health Inc. and Illumina Inc. relating to DNA-based noninvasive prenatal testing, ultimately culminating in an 11-day jury trial.
- Counsel for Juniper Networks Inc. in a patent litigation suit brought by Finjan Inc. relating to computer security software.
UCLA School of Law (J.D., 2015); Order of the Coif; Michael T. Masin Scholar; Senior articles editor, Journal of Environmental Law and Policy
University of California, Berkeley (B.A., Philosophy, Legal Studies, 2011)
- California, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Hon. Garland E. Burrell Jr., U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California