Jason Linder chairs the Global Investigations and White Collar Criminal Defense practice. He returned to the firm in May 2017 after serving as a senior Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) prosecutor in the U.S. Department of Justice. He represents corporations, executives and prominent individuals in sensitive, high-stakes internal and government-facing investigations across a wide range of business sectors. These include financial services and investment firms, healthcare, medical devices, life sciences, automotive and aerospace, manufacturing, transportation services, extractives (oil, gas and mining), entertainment, high tech, real estate and retail.
Jason’s practice emphasizes white collar criminal matters and crisis management, including internal investigations, compliance counseling, transactional due diligence and defense of clients before government enforcement agencies around the world. He focuses on representing companies and individuals before the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Offices around the country and the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as other U.S. and international law enforcement and regulatory agencies. Jason also represents clients in matters involving data privacy and security, cross-border civil disputes, international arbitration, class actions and high-stakes litigation in federal and state courts.
Jason brings to his practice extraordinary knowledge and experience acquired during a decade working as a federal prosecutor. Well-versed in criminal investigations and jury trials, he knows firsthand how prosecutors think, how they navigate a case and what they want to achieve.
At the Justice Department, Jason led many of the most complex and cutting-edge investigations and prosecutions of international FCPA, securities fraud and money laundering matters in more than 60 countries, including throughout most of Asia and Latin America, concerning a broad array of industries. He worked with nearly every major U.S. Attorney’s Office and law enforcement agency in the United States, law enforcement counterparts around the world and multilateral development banks such as the World Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
Jason directed dozens of white collar criminal investigations, resulting in some of the department’s most significant corporate criminal resolutions and convictions, including those against one of the largest technology companies in the U.S., a leading oil services company, a Brazilian jet manufacturer, a Chilean airline, a New York securities broker-dealer and a former high-level West African government official.
Before joining the Justice Department's Fraud Section in 2012, Jason served as an assistant United States attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida. He was lead counsel in numerous jury trials and appeals and many other litigated matters including FCPA, money laundering and securities fraud cases.
- Conducting an FCPA-related internal investigation in Latin America for a large California-based publicly traded company.
- Represented an employee of a major financial institution in an internal fraud-related investigation and related civil litigation.
- Representing a China-based executive of a large California-based publicly traded company in connection with an FCPA investigation by the SEC and DOJ.
- Designed and implemented a compliance program for an entertainment studio to minimize risk arising from contemplated new content creation.
- Revised and implemented executives on an entertainment studio’s FCPA compliance program.
- Representing an attorney in DOJ investigations involving allegations relating to the FCPA, money laundering, Foreign Agent Registration Act, and fraud.
- Advising a private equity fund regarding FCPA implications of its investments.
- Serving as an expert witness on anti-corruption compliance programs for a major medical device company.
- Serving as an expert witness on corruption-related issues for a major real estate development company.
- Counseling a major pharmaceutical manufacturer regarding FCPA issues.
- Advising an international healthcare company on its anti-corruption compliance program.
- Assisting a major Los Angeles County company on an internal investigation relating to a cyber-hack, and advised the business on cybersecurity compliance.
- Representing an orthopedic surgery practice in an internal and government healthcare fraud investigation, as well as related qui tam and civil suits.
- Represented several executives of a Fortune 100 automobile manufacturer in a DOJ and SEC investigation into potential accounting fraud, securities fraud, wire fraud, and books and records violations, as well as the company's related internal investigation.
- Representing an executive of a German auto manufacturer in a DOJ and German law enforcement investigation into potential regulatory fraud.
- "Why Fresenius Secured a 'Sweetheart' Deal," Global Investigations Review (April 15, 2019)
- "Corporate Community Relieved by Revisions to Instant Messaging Policy," Global Investigations Review (March 13, 2019)
- "Bribery Ruling Makes It Harder to Go After Parties Outside U.S.," Bloomberg Law (September 5, 2018)
- "Microsoft Bribery Probe Likely Extension of 5-Year Investigation," Bloomberg Law (August 31, 2018)
- "Anti-bribery compliance: We need more 'pioneers'," Global Investigations Review (July 13, 2018)
- "DOJ faces backlash against Whatsapp, WeChat policy," Global Investigations Review (June 1, 2018)
- "Panasonic company to pay $280M over foreign corruption charges," Daily Journal (May 2, 2018)
- "In SBM Offshore case, lines between commercial and government bribery blur," Global Investigations Review (December 13, 2017)
- "Unwrapping the new FCPA Corporate Enforcement Policy," Compliance Week (December 4, 2017)
- "Announcing the new FCPA Corporate Enforcement Policy," Compliance Week (November 29, 2017)
- "Court deals setback to prosecutors in cross-border cases," Compliance Week (September 12, 2017)
- "Feds In Balancing Act When Pursuing Individuals In FCPA Cases," Law360 (June 6, 2017)
- "O que a Justiça dos EUA pode fazer contra os irmãos Batista e a JBS?" BBC Brasil (May 23, 2017)
- "JBS brothers test dealmaking skills in Brazil plea deal showdown," Reuters (May 19, 2017)
- "FCPA Pilot Program Nets 22 Voluntary Disclosures in Past Year: DOJ," The National Law Journal (May 17, 2017)
- Jason's return to Irell as head of its Global Investigations and Anti-Corruption Practice in May 2017 received widespread media coverage in outlets including Law360, the Daily Journal, The Recorder/American Lawyer Media, Global Investigations Review, Bloomberg Big Law Business and the FCPA Report (subscriptions or registration may be required).
- "Cybersecurity Steps You Can Take to Comply With Authorities' Conflicting Demands," The Recorder (July 31, 2019)
- "Calif. Privacy Law's 3 Limited Exemptions For Health Cos.," Law360 (July 18, 2019)
- "Standard Chartered Does It Again: More Misconduct, More Fines," Revue Internationale de la Compliance et de l'Ethique des Affaires (June 3, 2019)
- "2nd Circ. Libor Ruling Won’t Slow Cross-Border Enforcement," Law360 (July 25, 2017)
- "Corruption Investigations at a Turning Point: Operation Car Wash, the Notebooks Case and the Current Landscape. Are We Entering Into a New Anti-Corruption Paradigm?" 22nd Annual IBA Transnational Crime Conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina (May 16, 2019)
- "US-China Conflict: Huawei and US Law," UCLA Anderson School of Management (April 29, 2019)
- "Chief Compliance Officer Risk & Compliance Roundtable," Sunnyvale, CA (February 5, 2019)
- "Chief Compliance Officer Risk & Compliance Roundtable," Los Angeles, CA (February 4, 2019)
- Masterclass "Measuring Effectiveness: How Do You Know Your ABC Program is Working?," Association of Money Laundering Professionals' 7th Annual Anti-Bribery & Corruption Forum in London, England (November 15, 2018)
- "Chief Compliance Officer Risk & Compliance Roundtable," San Francisco, CA (October 29, 2018)
- "Investigating Sexual Harassment and Abuse in the #MeToo Era," American Bar Association White Collar Crime Committee (October 22, 2018)
- "Global Corruption Enforcement Trends," International Bar Association’s 2018 Annual Conference (October 9, 2018)
- "China: How the Revised Anti-Unfair Competition Law, New National Supervision Law and Commission are Changing ABAC Compliance and Business Operations," ACI's 11th West Coast Conference on FCPA Enforcement and Compliance (September 25, 2018)
- "Effective Anti-Corruption Compliance Measures to Prevent and, if Necessary, Address Government Investigations," Keynote Speaker at Thomson Reuters Brazil Risk Summit 2018 (September 11, 2018)
- "DOJ Criteria for Evaluating Compliance Programs," Keynote Speaker at Third International Compliance Congress in Madrid, Spain (May 31, 2018)
- "Lava Jato, The Next Round: What the Most Recent Developments Reveal about Enforcement Priorities, Cross-Country Cooperation and the Risks Multinationals Face in Brazil," A New Environment for Anti-Corruption Enforcement and Mergers & Acquisitions in Brazil (November 14, 2017)
- "What to Do When the Brazilians and Americans Come Knocking, and Best Practices for Preventing That in the First Place," A New Environment for Anti-Corruption Enforcement and Mergers & Acquisitions in Brazil (November 14, 2017)
- "China: The Risks of Hiring Individuals and Third Party Entities with Ties to the Government: Practical Lessons from the Most Prominent Cases," ACI's 10th West Coast Conference on FCPA Enforcement and Compliance (September 26, 2017)
- "FCPA Enforcement Trends & Focus on Remediation," SEC Conference 2017: An Accounting & Reporting Update for Public Companies (June 21, 2017)
- National vice chair, White Collar Crime Committee, American Bar Association
- Member, Business Crime Committee, International Bar Association
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers Board of Governors – Los Angeles Chapter
Honors & Awards
- Named "Future Leader" by Who’s Who Legal/Global Investigations Review (2019)
Harvard Law School (J.D., 2000), cum laude
Swarthmore College (B.A., Philosophy, 1997), with honors
- California, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth, Eleventh and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court