Paul Swanson counsels clients with respect to corporate, intellectual property and entertainment-related transactions. He has substantial experience arranging complex financing for the production and distribution of a wide range of media, including motion pictures, television programs, video games and digital content. Collegial and responsive to his clients’ needs, Paul works diligently to move projects forward and get deals done.
Paul has represented leading financial institutions, investment banks, equity funds, major independent production companies, producers, high-net-worth individuals and others in structuring and administering numerous multi-tranche debt and equity credit facilities, capital raises, slate financings, co-productions, co-financings, single-project production loans, prints and advertising financings and tax credit financings. In addition, he has participated in multibillion-dollar media merger and acquisition and securitization transactions, including a specific focus on identifying and resolving intellectual property and entertainment industry-specific issues and has experience counseling clients on issues raised with respect to secured loans and media assets in bankruptcy proceeds.
With a strong background in copyright and entertainment-industry specific issues, Paul also regularly advises his clients in connection with video game, visual effects, motion capture, digital media, software and technology licensing transactions as well as marketing, sponsorship and merchandising agreements.
Notable Media Finance & Corporate Transactions
- Represented well-known video game publisher in connection with the production, financing and distribution of motion pictures based on its video game properties.
- Represented high-profile television creator/production company in connection with $70 million term loan and related production and licensing agreements in connection with an animated television series.
- Represented Dalian Wanda Group Co. Ltd. in its $3.5 billion purchase of Legendary Entertainment.
- Represented joint venture in $25 million revolving credit facility to be used to fund prints and advertising costs for motion pictures. Represented Bank of America in a $100 million securitization for a major international reality and scripted television producer and distributor.
- Represented A24 Films in connection with a $125 million revolving credit facility.
- Represented a high-profile producer in connection with a $75 million revolving credit facility to be used to fund the production costs of an animated television series.
- Represented MUFG Union Bank in a $200 million film production financing transaction for a well-known motion picture and television producer and distributor.
- Represented Comerica Bank and MUFG Union Bank as co-lead arrangers and lenders in a $150+ million film ultimates financing transaction.
- Represented Colony Capital in the acquisition of the Miramax film library from Disney and subsequent debt and securitization transactions.
- Represented Summit Entertainment in a multi-tranche debt and equity financing transaction and related acquisition of Summit Entertainment’s operations and in connection with numerous motion picture financings, including for The Twilight Saga motion pictures.
- Represented Comerica Bank in a $32 million financing transaction for 60 episodes of a popular television series.
- Represented Goldman Sachs, as arranger, in a $200 million film production financing transaction.
Notable Intellectual Property Transactions
- Represented Opus Bank in connection with it being named the official bank and exclusive banking sponsor of the Pac-12 Conference.
- Represented DIRECTV in connection with its acquisition of rights to broadcast television content from major studios and numerous other development, license and technology deals.
- Represented Merrill Lynch, as arranger and lender, in connection with a worldwide diligence process for 400-plus trademarks to be pledged as collateral.
- Represented Upper Deck in its acquisition of a sports memorabilia and trading card company.
- Represented Summit Entertainment in devising and implementing international film rights licensing chains in order to minimize tax liability.
- Represented client in connection with its sponsorship of a nationally televised PGA Tour golf tournament, negotiating the title sponsorship, network and cable broadcast and trademark license agreements.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in the "Dealmakers Impact Report," Variety magazine's list of people behind the most important entertainment industry deals of the past 12 months (2016)
- Recognized in "Up Next," Variety magazine's list of the best and brightest up-and-coming entertainment attorneys (2011)
- Named to the Southern California Super Lawyers list (2018)
- Named to the Southern California Super Lawyers "Rising Star" list (2006-2007; 2009-2014)