Global Investigations and White Collar Criminal Defense
Companies and executives face increasing scrutiny from authorities in the United States and around the world. Irell & Manella LLP’s Global Investigations and White Collar Criminal Defense group has the experience and expertise to help clients navigate criminal, civil and regulatory investigations wherever they arise. Led by a former senior prosecutor in the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) unit of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the group is well-versed in all aspects of FCPA compliance, investigations and enforcement, and should be your first choice for counsel in enforcement proceedings by the DOJ, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other domestic and foreign agencies.
Our partners routinely represent clients in a broad array of matters involving government and regulatory investigations and prosecutions, including criminal, civil and regulatory matters. These include:
- The FCPA, the UK Bribery Act and anti-corruption laws around the world
- Securities, financial institution and accounting fraud
- Anti-money laundering
- Export/import violations
- Procurement fraud
- Healthcare fraud
- Privacy and cybersecurity
- Computer and intellectual property crimes
- U.S. False Claims Act
We have successfully defended numerous business organizations, directors, officers and other individuals in all stages of these matters, from compliance counseling through internal investigations, scrutiny by government authorities, and criminal and civil trials and appeals.
Our specific expertise includes:
- Government Investigations. Irell has extensive experience assisting corporations and their executives in evaluating the underlying factual and legal issues that may lead to government action, developing strategies for responding to government investigations and, if necessary, defending against civil and criminal government prosecutions. We advise clients relating to investigations at all levels domestically, including local, state, federal and military, and all foreign authorities.
- Internal Investigations and Corporate Compliance Programs. We have deep background assisting corporations, boards of directors and audit committees in conducting internal investigations in a wide variety of matters, and in the development and implementation of corporate compliance programs. Such investigations have been designed to locate potential fraud, abuse or other wrongdoing, and to counsel companies to develop effective strategies for defending against civil and criminal inquires, as well as prosecutions before they are initiated. In this area, we bring clients the unique perspective of how the facts and newly developed programs will be seen through the eyes of government officials, judges and prosecutors. Clients also benefit from our close collaboration with partners who regularly advise corporate boards on governance issues and related matters such as corporate law, tax, intellectual property and financings.
- Anti-Corruption Enforcement Actions. Irell’s expertise includes matters arising in Asia, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East, and includes internal investigations, defense against government inquiries, compliance counseling and the design of compliance programs, due diligence, and working with independent corporate compliance monitors. We have experience in virtually every industry, including high technology, telecommunications, and electronics; media; mining, oil, and other extractive industries; energy; defense contracting and aerospace; transportation; broker-dealers and other financial service providers; pharmaceuticals and medical devices; manufacturing; and apparel.
- White Collar Criminal Defense. We have represented corporations and individuals in a wide variety of white collar criminal matters, from responses to government subpoenas for documents, deposition and grand jury testimony, to the defense of government prosecution and enforcement actions. Our representations have spanned courts and agencies across the country, at both the state and federal level.
Many of our white collar matters have involved the defense of investigations and prosecutions of financial crimes. Irell has been actively involved in the defense of institutions and individuals charged with securities fraud, insider trading, bank fraud, FCPA violations, tax violations, RICO charges, mail fraud and wire fraud.
- Representing a China-based executive of a large California-based publicly traded company in connection with an FCPA investigation by the DOJ and SEC.
- Representing an orthopedic surgery practice in an internal and government healthcare fraud investigation. We are also defending the client in a related qui tam suit and advising on possible counterclaims.
- Representing several executives of a Fortune 100 automobile manufacturer in a DOJ and SEC investigation into potential accounting fraud, securities fraud, wire fraud, and books and records violations, as well as the company's related internal investigation.
- Representing an employee of a major financial institution in an internal fraud-related investigation and related civil litigation.
- Designed and implemented a compliance program for an entertainment studio to minimize risk arising from contemplated new content creation.
- Revised, implemented, and trained executives on an entertainment studio’s FCPA compliance program.
- Conducting an FCPA-related internal investigation for a large, California-based publicly traded company.
- Representing an attorney in DOJ investigations involving allegations relating to the FCPA, money laundering, Foreign Agent Registration Act, and fraud.
- Advising a private equity fund regarding FCPA implications of its investments.
- Serving as an expert witness on anti-corruption compliance programs for a major medical device company.
- Representing multiple celebrities relating to allegations and investigations relating to allegations of sexual harassment and abuse.
- Counseling a major pharmaceutical manufacturer regarding FCPA issues.
- Advised an international healthcare company on its anti-corruption compliance program.
- Assisted a major Los Angeles County company on an internal investigation relating to a cyber hack, and advised the business on cybersecurity compliance.
- Advised a national media conglomerate on an internal investigation involving trade secret theft.
- Law360, 07.2019
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Business Ethics Blog, 04.2018
- Law360, 07.2017
- Corruption Investigations at a Turning Point: Operation Car Wash, the Notebooks Case and the Current Landscape. Are We Entering Into a New Anti-Corruption Paradigm?05.16.2019
- Los Angeles, CA, 04.29.2019
- Sunnyvale & Los Angeles, CA, 02.2019
- London, England, 11.15.2018
- San Francisco, CA, 10.29.2018
- Los Angeles, CA, 10.22.2018
- Rome, Italy, 10.09.2018
- China: How the Revised Anti-Unfair Competition Law, New National Supervision Law and Commission are Changing ABAC Compliance and Business OperationsSan Francisco, CA, 09.25.2018
- Effective Anti-Corruption Compliance Measures to Prevent and, if Necessary, Address Government InvestigationsSão Paulo, Brazil, 09.11.2018
- Madrid, Spain, 05.31.2018
- Lava Jato, The Next Round: What the Most Recent Developments Reveal about Enforcement Priorities, Cross-Country Cooperation and the Risks Multinationals Face in BrazilSão Paulo, Brazil, 11.14.2017
- The Risks of Hiring Individuals and Third Party Entities with Ties to the Government: Practical Lessons from the Most Prominent CasesSan Francisco, CA, 09.26.2017
- Marina Del Rey, CA, 06.21.2017