Media & Entertainment Transactions
With more than 70 years of experience representing top global entertainment and new media companies and financial institutions, our practice plays a leading role in facilitating complex transactions in the media and entertainment industries.
We represent a broad array of entertainment clients, including public and private companies, media conglomerates, movie studios, television networks, production companies, video game developers, financiers, financial institutions, private equity funds, venture capital firms, high-net-worth individuals, distributors, producers and executives.
Our lawyers have closed numerous loans and other financing deals—many ranging in the hundreds of millions of dollars—for film and television. In addition, we regularly represent clients in transactions involving the acquisition or sale of film and television libraries, mergers and acquisitions, format rights, corporate reorganizations and workouts and slate deals. Our partners are known for their innovative approach to the challenges that can often derail these complex transactions. We focus on practical solutions that will achieve our clients’ goals and get the deal done.
Our practice combines the strong focus of a boutique firm with the breadth of a full-service firm. In particular, we frequently draw upon the knowledge and experience of our intellectual property partners to provide guidance on matters where technology and entertainment intersect. As the media, communications and tech industries continue to converge, our strategic counsel is critical to helping clients navigate this evolving media and entertainment landscape.
- Represented Miramax in its acquisition by media and entertainment company beIN Media Group. Selling shareholders included Qatar Investment Authority and Colony Capital.
- Represented a well-known video game publisher in connection with the production, financing and distribution of motion pictures based upon its video game properties.
- Represented a high-profile television creator/production company in connection with $70 million term loan and related production and licensing agreements with respect to an animated television series.
- Represented Dallas-based Tango Films LLC in connection with the sale of a wholly owned subsidiary that owns or holds foreign rights to exploit a film library comprising over 25 titles.
- Represented Dalian Wanda Group Co. Ltd., China's largest commercial property company and the world's largest cinema chain operator, in its acquisition of leading media company Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 billion. The transaction was, at the time of closing, China's largest cross-border cultural acquisition.
- Represented film studio and distributor A24 in securing a $50 million corporate credit facility and the increase of such credit facility to $125 million. Comerica Bank structured and arranged the transaction, and Union Bank acted as the syndication agent. Bank of America, J.P. Morgan and SunTrust joined Comerica Bank and Union Bank in the Comerica-led financing.
- Represented the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and related Academy foundation in connection with the issuance of $341 million aggregate principal amount of tax-exempt, fixed and floating rate "Oscar bonds" to finance the construction and development of the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures.
- Represented Guggenheim Securities LLC, as initial purchaser, in connection with a $340 million whole business securitization transaction involving Dick Clark Productions Inc., the producer of such live television programming as the Golden Globe Awards, the American Music Awards and the Academy of Country Music Awards.
- Represented Bank of America and MUFG Union Bank in connection with a $500 million revolving credit facility for production company Studio 8.
- Represented AwesomenessTV in its acquisition by DreamWorks Animation.
- Represented Kin Community, a digital media company and multichannel network operator specializing in lifestyle and female-focused digital content, in connection with a preferred stock financing led by Canadian broadcaster Corus Entertainment.
- Represented Network Communications Inc. (NCI), a local media company, in connection with the sale of the company to CoStar Group. The sale included NCI’s flagship business assets associated with Apartment Finder, FinderSocial and FinderSites.
- Represented Network Communications Inc. in connection with the divestiture of its magazine division, which included Unique Homes and ByDesign Publishing as well as its home design and home improvement titles such as Atlanta Home & Lifestyles, New England Home and Mountain Living, among others.
- Represented RealD, a global licensor of 3D technologies to movie theaters and consumer electronics manufacturers, in connection with the purchase of certain intellectual property assets from the Chapter 11 case of Digital Domain Media Group Inc. and its affiliated debtors.
- Represented Summit Entertainment in its formation, capital raising and ultimate sale to Lionsgate.*
- Representation of Colony Capital in its acquisition of Miramax Films from Disney and its subsequent financings.*
* Work completed by current firm member while at a prior firm