- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 2014) Order of the Coif; Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review
- Grinnell College (B.A., 2009)
- Hon. Norman K. Moon, U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
Colin Thompson is a transactional associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP. Mr. Thompson’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property transactions, corporate finance and entertainment-related transactions. Prior to joining Irell, Mr. Thompson served as a law clerk to the Honorable Norman K. Moon of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia.
Mr. Thompson earned his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was elected Order of the Coif and was on the Editorial Board of the Virginia Law Review. While in law school, Mr. Thompson participated in the Supreme Court Litigation Clinic, drafting petitions for certiorari and merits briefs for numerous cases before the United States Supreme Court. He earned his B.A. from Grinnell College.
Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of PDI Software, a leading convenience store and fuel logistics SaaS provider.
Represented PDI Software in its acquisition of Touchstar, a global fuel logistics software business.
Represented Accruent in its acquisition of EMS, the premier provider of software for space optimization and scheduling.
Represented Accruent in its acquisition of Maintenance Connection, a provider of building maintenance software.
Represented Dalian Wanda Group Co., Ltd., China's largest commercial property company and the world's largest cinema chain operator, in its acquisition of Legendary Entertainment for $3.5 billion.
- Represented Angiotech Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in its acquisition by a consortium led by U.S. healthcare investment firm Vivo Capital and China’s ZQ Capital.
- Represented ConstructConnect (f/k/a iSqFt), a portfolio company of investment firms Genstar Capital and Warburg Pincus, in its sale to public company Roper Technologies, Inc.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Accruent, LLC, a leading provider of real estate and facilities management SaaS.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment, a NASDAQ-listed gaming company, in its acquisition of the operations of the Meadows Racetrack and Casino in Pennsylvania from affiliates of Cannery Casino Resorts and Pinnacle’s lease of the underlying real property from subsidiaries of Gaming and Leisure Properties, Inc.
- Represented Pinnacle Entertainment in connection with an exchange offer, whereby it exchanged $500 million aggregate principal amount of 5.625% Senior Notes due 2024.
- Represented global film and television studio Miramax in connection with the sale of the company to beIN MEDIA GROUP.
- "Can a Corporation Be Liable for Being a Victim of Fraud?" Daily Journal (October 30, 2015)
- 2014, California