- The University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 2015), highest honors; Comments Editor, The University of Chicago Law Review
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., Political Science, 2012) summa cum laude
- Hon. Sandra S. Ikuta, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Stephen Payne is a litigation associate in the Los Angeles office of Irell & Manella LLP. Mr. Payne’s practice focuses on complex litigation, including IP litigation, media & entertainment litigation, and appellate litigation.
Prior to joining Irell, Mr. Payne served as a law clerk for the Honorable Sandra S. Ikuta of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Mr. Payne earned his J.D., with highest honors, from The University of Chicago Law School, where he was elected Order of the Coif and served as Comments Editor on The University of Chicago Law Review. Mr. Payne was also named a Kirkland & Ellis Scholar and selected as a Rubenstein Scholar. While in law school, Mr. Payne worked as an extern in the United States Attorney's Office for the Central District of California. He earned his B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Notre Dame.
- Let's Be Reasonable: Controlling Self-Help Discovery in False Claims Act Suits, 81 U. Chi. L. Rev. 1297 (2014).
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit