It is with a heavy heart that we report Richard Borow has passed away. Please click here to read our in memoriam.
Richard H. Borow, a former senior partner and general counsel of the firm, founded Irell & Manella LLP's Litigation group and chaired it for 35 years. He retired at the end of 2005. For over 50 years, he specialized in the defense of complex civil litigation, and in alternate dispute resolution. He formerly served as an arbitrator and mediator in complex civil disputes.
Richard was an Adjunct Professor of Law at the UCLA School of Law from 1971 to 1983, and was also a member of the Ad Hoc Committee to Study the Evaluation of Lawyers of the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference. He was formerly a member of the board of directors of the Ninth Judicial Circuit Historical Society.
Those who wish to honor Richard’s legacy can make a gift here to the Richard Borow – Irell & Manella Scholarship Fund at Columbia Law School. The Irell & Manella Foundation, Morgan and Helen Chu, and David Siegel will match contributions up to a total of $125,000. Donations can also be made in Dick’s memory to The CLL Society or to The Washington Institute for Near East Policy.
- Former member, American Arbitration Association’s National Panel of Neutrals and Large Complex Case Panel
- Former member, board of directors of the Federal Litigation Guide (Matthew Bender)
- Former chair, Judiciary Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Former judge pro tem, Beverly Hills Municipal Court
- Former member, board of trustees of Public Advocates
- Life member, American Law Institute
- Frequent lecturer and writer throughout North America on topics related to complex civil litigation
- Board of directors, The Washington Institute for Near East Policy (since 1987)
Columbia University School of Law (LL.B., 1959), highest honors; Member of the board of editors of the Columbia Law Review
Hunter College (A.B., 1956), with honors